Chicken wire is a useful item in all farms because it ensures that the chickens don’t stray away or lose their way. It keeps them within your boundaries. However, there are a few downsides to using chicken wire:
- It does not provide protection from predators
- It can lead to health problems in chickens because they are easily exposed to pathogens, mites, etc.
- It can be dangerous to chickens who stick their head out as they are curious. This is prevalent in baby chicks and they end up getting stuck.
For these reasons, we urge you to look at safer chicken wire alternatives that serve the purpose and do not harm your chickens at the same time. And, we know exactly how difficult it can be to find the right one. That’s why we are here!
After careful curation, we have come up with a list that we are positive will help you. So, without further ado, let’s go through it.
Chicken Wire Alternatives
Please note that this list comes straight from our experts who are highly experienced in this field and have a thorough understanding of the market.
1. Easy Gardener Multi-use Netting Alternative – LG400161
The Easy Gardener chicken wire alternative is available in 2 sizes – 5 x 100 and 6 x 100 feet. It is a light, fade-resistant netting with the following features:
- The flexible netting is easy to use and can be cut to the desired size with a pair of scissors.
- It is perfect for compost bin fencing, insulation support, gutter guards, and vent guards. It is also suitable for animal fencing and successfully keeps deer and birds away.
- The netting does not need any sort of maintenance.
- It does not corrode or rot like metal alternatives.
- You can also grow flowering plants that need support along this netting.
2. BSTOOL Chicken Wire Net
The BSTOOL Chicken Wire Net is made out of galvanized iron and is very sturdy. It comes with a pair of mini cutting pliers to help you cut it with ease. Keep in mind, though, that this is smaller than the others and measures only 10 feet. Below are a few more details:
- This is a set of 3 sheets that has hexagonal openings.
- Thanks to its size, it can also be used for crafts, photo walls, garland frames, and pet cages.
- The diameter of the wire is 0.6mm. It is lightweight and strong at the same time.
- You can grow plants around the net for added protection.
- The size of each hexagonal opening is 0.63 inches.
3. Tenax Poultry Fence – 090786
Introducing Amazon’s Choice item now! The Tenax Poultry Fence provides all round protection to the chickens, making it a stellar choice. Read on for more details:
- The fence is treated with UV for complete protection
- You can use it in various ways from chicken fence to poultry runs, backyard cages, vegetable & fruit fence, etc.
- It measures 3 x 25 feet and can easily be cut to the desired size with a utility knife. The best part is that it does not leave any sharp edges when cut.
- This is a plastic alternative to traditional chicken wire. It does not rust and can be reused for many years.
- The fence has a 3-5 year life expectancy.
4. SATINIOR Chicken Wire Net
Here’s another chicken wire net that has been recognized by Amazon. It is a hexagonal wire made of galvanized iron and has the following features:
- The set includes 2 sheets of chicken wire alternative, each twisted at a six-angle.
- You can use the chicken wire for gardening projects, poultry protection, and as a cover for pet cages.
- Each opening in this wire measures 0.6 inches.
- It measures 13.7 x 40 inches and can be cut using a utility knife to the desired size.
- It is very sturdy and can protect your chickens quite easily.
5. CandyHome Green Anti-bird Protection Mesh
We shall end this list with our favorite chicken wire alternative! The CandyHome protective mesh is a large fence measuring 13 x 33 feet, and is capable of covering large areas with ease. Here’s why we think you should buy it:
- This is an anti-bird net that is made of nylon. It is durable, lightweight, and stretchable.
- It is UV-resistant and is also capable of withstanding various weather conditions.
- It can provide maximum protection against large birds, rodents, deer, etc.
- It is also easy to fold and store when not in use.
- It is aging-resistant, anti-oxidation, and anti-corrosion.
People also ask
1) What can I use instead of a mesh wire?
Synthetic fibers are good alternatives.
2) What is stronger than chicken wire?
Galvanized hardware cloth
3) Can a rat chew through chicken wire?
Yes, it can.
4) Will chicken wire keep birds out of the garden?
Yes, it will.
5) What type of fencing is best for chickens?
Wire hardware cloth is a suitable choice.
6) Can I use chicken wire to reinforce concrete?
We would advise against it because it is not strong enough for this application.
Chicken wire is not very reliable, in our opinion. It is also not the safest bet out there. That is why you should look at appropriate chicken wire alternatives. Our guide will help you compare and make the right choice without problems. All the best!